Click or tap inside the chapter body to show/hide the bottom settings
Posted on , Translation by Dida

Chapter 111: Analysis

Taking a deep breath, Zhou Qing composed herself and looked at Zhou Huaishan.

“Dad, since you already know you’re in jail, why aren’t you anxious at all? Aren’t you afraid you won’t be able to get out?”

Zhou Huaishan immediately shot Zhou Qing a disdainful glance.

“Not be able to get out?” As he spoke, Zhou Huaishan waved his hand with an absolutely certain look on his face, lowering his voice and emphasizing every word, “Impossible!”

Zhou Qing looked at Zhou Huaishan.

Zhou Huaishan raised his chin and said smugly, “If that Education Commissioner hadn’t come, I might not have been able to get out. But since that Education Commissioner has come, I’ll definitely get out.”

“Why?”

“Do you know what an Education Commissioner is? They’re in charge of the imperial examinations in each province. These people all came from the Hanlin Academy. They’re all hardcore top scholars!”

Zhou Qing had already heard this from Xu Feng, so she merely nodded slightly.

Zhou Huaishan continued, “Those hardcore top scholars were all at the top of their class when they were studying, so they have a strong sense of superiority. And those who can leave the Hanlin Academy to further their studies and serve as Education Commissioners are all people with backing and factions, returning to prepare for promotions. They simply look down on people like Zhou Yuan!”

Zhou Qing rubbed her chin.

Sure enough, she had come to the right person.

Before transmigrating, Zhou Huaishan had been a marquis.

Although he was a wastrel, even if he had never eaten pork, he had at least seen pigs run. Having witnessed all kinds of major situations, he would definitely have his own unique take on this case.

Moreover, ever since that Education Commissioner arrived, Zhou Huaishan had been behaving unusually honestly, completely unlike his usual character.

When something is abnormal, there must be something suspicious about it.

“So?”

“So if this Education Commissioner also came to harm me just like Zhou Yuan, then his target definitely isn’t me. I’m merely a stepping stone for him to achieve his goal!”

As a stepping stone, Zhou Huaishan looked extremely proud at that moment.

“If my guess is correct, his real target is Hu Weiyue, or the person who can get Hu Weiyue reinstated.

It should be that Hu Weiyue has blocked his path, and he wants to use me to get rid of Hu Weiyue.

As long as Hu Weiyue isn’t dragged into this, nothing will happen to me.

If Hu Weiyue is dragged into this, then the person behind Hu Weiyue will definitely save Hu Weiyue and, by the way, save me too.

Of course, if I’ve wrongly accused the Education Commissioner and he’s actually a good person, then he’ll clear my name.”

Zhou Qing......

Tsk!

So you’ve already thought everything through, huh!

“Then what should I do?”

Zhou Huaishan rolled his eyes. “What do you mean, what should you do? Of course, bring me some spicy pepper chicken! Also, bring some lamb buns and some of the dried little fish your Third Aunt made. Make sure to send me three meals a day.”

Zhou Qing......

“Do I not need to investigate anything?”

“Investigate my ass! If you investigate, you might just fall right into their trap.

They arrested me precisely to fish for Hu Weiyue.

As the bait, as long as we don’t make a move, they’ll be the ones anxiously waiting!”

“But what if you’re wrong, Dad? What if they simply want to deal with you on Zhou Yuan’s behalf?”

Zhou Huaishan gave a mysterious smile, glanced left and right, then leaned closer to Zhou Qing.

“If I’m wrong, this crime of mine isn’t enough to warrant the death penalty. At most, I’ll have to stay in jail for a few more days. But once my reputation is ruined, I won’t be able to take the imperial examination anymore.”

If he couldn’t take the imperial examination, he wouldn’t have to study anymore.

It wasn’t that I didn’t want to study.

It was that I couldn’t study anymore!

Zhou Qing was so angry at Zhou Huaishan’s words that she nearly split apart on the spot.

So this was actually your main point!

You’re willing to go to jail just so you don’t have to study?

The way your brain works is way too convoluted.

After leaving the prison, Zhou Qing’s mind was still a little muddled.

Zhou Huaishan’s analysis had sounded so reasonable. Should she listen to Zhou Huaishan, or should she make an effort to investigate the truth?

With these thoughts weighing on her mind, Zhou Qing walked outside. Just as she left the prison compound, she saw Xu Feng approaching from not far away.

“How did it go, Miss Zhou? Did Brother Huaishan say anything?”

Of course, Zhou Qing didn’t dare tell anyone what Zhou Huaishan had said.

It would destroy her father’s image.

With a troubled expression, she shook her head. “He didn’t say much. He just said that he was innocent. What about you?”

Xu Feng sighed and shook his head. “I didn’t get to see the county magistrate. How about this, Miss Zhou, you go back first. I’ll wait a little longer. As soon as I get any news, I’ll immediately go tell you.”

“Thank you, Shopkeeper Xu!”

Zhou Qing sincerely thanked him.

Xu Feng really could be considered their benefactor.

Back then, when her father copied books, it was Xu Feng who gave him the opportunity. Later, when her father took the examination, it was Xu Feng who gave him an examination spot.

When they went up against Zhao Dacheng, Xu Feng had even helped them earn seven hundred taels of silver.

Now that her father had been arrested, he was once again running around helping them......

What a good person!

Silently wishing him a lifetime of peace and safety, Zhou Qing turned around and went home.

When she returned, Zhou Ping was waiting eagerly at the entrance. The moment he saw her, he came running over.

“Big Sister, Li Yi said Uncle Zhong went to get supplies. He went to look for Uncle Zhong.”

Zhou Qing hummed in response.

As they spoke, Madam Zhao approached with red-rimmed eyes. “Qing girl, how is Second Brother?”

“My dad said he wants to eat the fried little dried fish you make. He wants you to send him some.”

Madam Zhao......

Wiping away her tears with red eyes, she looked at Zhou Qing in confusion. “Huh?”

Zhou Qing smiled bitterly. “He also wants spicy pepper chicken.”

Madam Zhao......

Huh?

If she remembered correctly, hadn’t Second Brother been arrested and thrown into jail?

Zhou Qing took Madam Zhao’s hand and led her inside, telling her bits and pieces of what Zhou Huaishan had said.

“I think what my dad said makes sense. Third Aunt, don’t worry too much either. How about this? You make him some food and send it over. While it’s still light out, I’ll see if I can find out something about those few scholars.”

After hearing Zhou Qing’s words, Madam Zhao was still so confused that she hardly knew which way was north. She nodded blankly. “All right, I’ll go make it now.”

Zhou Ping then said, “Big Sister, I’ll go with you to find those scholars. The county town is so big. What if there are bad people?”

“No need. You stay home.” Zhou Qing rubbed Zhou Ping’s head and forced a smile. “The public safety here is very good. Where would the bad people come from?”

“As long as your heart is sincere, you’ll always encounter them,” Zhou Ping said with his bright, dark eyes wide open.

Zhou Qing......

Zhou Yao raised her hand and smacked Zhou Ping on the head. “What nonsense are you talking about!”

She grabbed Zhou Ping and pulled him aside, then said to Zhou Qing, “Big Sister, don’t mind him. Since Big Sister is going to investigate those scholars, I’ll go with you.”

“You don’t know martial arts. If I go, I can protect Big Sister,” Zhou Ping protested pitifully.

“No need. I’ll take Li Er with me. Having too many people will only make things inconvenient.”

After pausing for a moment, Zhou Qing was just about to leave when she suddenly remembered something and added, “Later, you two accompany Third Aunt to deliver food to my dad. Remember to bring him two books. Tell him that tomorrow I’m going to the jail to test him. If he can’t recite them, then he’ll go hungry after this meal.”

Zhou Yao......

Zhou Ping......

Big Sister, you’re ruthless!

Second Uncle is already in this situation, and you’re still using food to force him to study.

Zhou Qing......

You think I want to!

He finally started studying diligently during this period. What if he sits in jail for a while and forgets everything he memorized before?

What a headache!

With a sigh, Zhou Qing turned around and left the house.

She changed into men’s clothing and took Li Er straight to Wangjiatuo Village, the village closest to the county town.

The bitter wind was biting, striking her face like blades scraping across it, yet she had neither the time nor the inclination to feel the cruelty of the cold wind.

If you enjoyed this of [Father Did You Study Today], do consider leaving a small tip or making a donation on Ko-fi to help keep translations going. Don’t forget to mention the series that you’re supporting!

Comments

Leave a comment, check Notify Me to get an email notification when someone replies to your comment.
Enter Image URL, Code Snippet or Quote, then click the button you want to use. Copy the result and paste it into the comment field.


image quote pre code
Comments